Study photography in Prague!
FAMU – Film and TV School of the Academy of Performing Arts in Prague / Department of Photography
FAMU is the fifth oldest film school in the world. Its graduates include many influential filmmakers and scriptwriters, many of whom are known internationally as Oscar winners and laureates of international film festivals. The Department of Photography was founded in 1975 which makes it one of the oldest institutions of its kind in Europe. The school is located right in the historical centre of Prague. Our unique specialization is the interconnection of classical photography techniques with contemporary multi-media trends.
The Department of Photography offers a Bachelor Program, a Master’s Program and a Academy Preparation Program (APP) in Photography in the English language. The BA Photography program is open to students without academic background in photography. Students studying in the English language have the opportunity to participate in lectures in the English language in the FAMU International Program. The students also have the possibility to work in the studios led by renowned teachers. These studios include the Studio of Documentary Photography, Studio of Experimental and Staged Photography, Studio of Post-conceptunal Photography, Studio of Multi-media and Studio of Classical Photography.
– Studio Tabletop is equipped with Sinar type large-format cameras with a film format of up to 18 x 24 cm, including digital alternatives.
– Studio for life photography has a flash lighting system with above standard power of 12 000 Ws; it has a Hasselblad camera with a digital back, and an analogue camera Mamiya RB 67 with a set of interchangeable lenses.
– Studio “Portrait and Figure” offers similar equipment as above and the possibility to create an endless background.
– Computer room and a room for scanning films (negatives and positives) are available in the school. For more demanding work there is the scanner Hasselblad Flextight x5.
– The out of Prague studio in Beroun enables students to focus on their work for several days, providing on-site accommodation facilities. It offers studios equipped for large and medium formats and two darkrooms.
We are also preparing a classical studio with daylight, which will have an 18 x 24 cm camera.
At the Department of Photography we put an emphasis on individual development of the artists. The study includes art and photography history courses, philosophical seminars, practical seminars and workshops with renowned artists. Students also gain experience in the graphical workshop and screen print studio. They also learn the art of bookbinding and production of photographic publications. Multimedia instruction is an integral part of our teaching.
An integral part of the school character is the interconnection with the dynamic cultural life in Prague. The school has its own gallery in the centre of Prague. The gallery has a rich program of student exhibitions. We assist international students in the integration into the regular gallery activities in Prague, which means they often participate in exhibitions in renowned galleries. A unique benefit is our interconnection with the FAMU film department in areas such as direction, camera and editing. Together with our students, we regularly participate in important European festivals of photography. Within the scope of our programs we cooperate with photography and film schools all over the world.
M.A. Barbora Stejskalová – department assistant
Department of Photography
Smetanovo nabř. 2
110 00 Praha 1
Tel: +420 234 244 311 Fax: +420 234 244 363